Monday, March 1, 2010

America's Band ? (Sorry, Grand Funk..)



I've liked Wilco since their first whiskey-soaked debut, but...well, as their career progressed and Jeff Tweedy exerted more influence on their musical development, it seemed to me that they were taking simple alt-country melodies and slathering a gravy of noise on top. You could hear the disconnect. Fast forward through breakups, breakdowns and rehab, and with Nels Cline shredding on guitar, Wilco has attained the pinnacle. "Kicking Television" is their best (live) CD summation. And as much as I've loved everything I've posted so far, THIS ("Ashes of American Flags") is the DVD I'd twist your arm and force you to purchase. From the opening song "Ashes of American Flags" (filmed at a sound-check no less! What a moment!), Wilco avoid the 'band on the runway' cliches and focus on the music. I'm totally in love with "Impossible Germany"; what a tribute to the twin-guitar sound: Wishbone Ash, we salute you! Jeff's dry humor, the band's mind-link, the audience's energy -- what a package.

No comments:

Post a Comment