Monday, February 7, 2011

Ack, It's the Radio

I loved the radio growing up; I usually had my transistor radio permanently attached to my ear. Later, during the glory days of cool free-form FM radio, I still listened to the radio by the hour, even though I'd begun to develop a pretty sizable record collection. So you'd think that after the tape player in my car died (I know, I know -- my car came equipped with the very last cassette deck ever made), I'd still be able to enjoy spending time with my old friend, the radio. Uhh, no. I realize it's because I'm old and cranky (you kids get off my lawn!), but other than KING and KPLU, I'm hard pressed to find anything decent out there. CBC? Their format change pretty much leaves me cold. I'm lucky to be able to pick up KSER and KSVR when the wind blows just right.
But with all my carping, sometimes I do hear something I really enjoy. Latest is the 2010 album by Laura Veirs called "July Flame". Laura divides her time between Seattle and Portland, and she's got a great, 'unschooled' voice, quirky enjoyable songs, and a sympathetic partner in producer Tucker Martime. The song "Summer Is the Champion" really stood out amongst the radio dreck, so I guess there's still hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment