Tuesday, May 14, 2013

David Bowie!! And Some Sorta Related Joke Titles


Surprise surprise, there's a new David Bowie CD! He was supposedly in hiding after an on-stage heart attack or some sort of heart event, living out the few remaining days of his life behind closed doors. Turns out in the last year or so he'd been recording his new CD release in secret. Now, Bowie knows a lot about riding the waves of popularity, the dips and swells of acceptance and pushing ahead into uncharted waters, so does this new one crest the wave or wash up on shore? (Why am I using surfing metaphors about David Bowie?)

I'm a Bowie dilletante, I guess. Only owned "Station to Station", didn't play much of it other than the title track and "TVC 15".  I made a 45 minute cassette "best of", but my tracklist  didn't match the officially released comps (surprise, surprise).

Rick Moody wrote a 30-page review/overview of "The Next Day", so I won't say much more than: wow, I didn't know I missed Bowie. The last, what, 6 or 7 releases came and went with no fanfare. Had David lost the plot? I liked a song or two when I heard them but...well, we all had other things to listen to, I guess.

So far, the first 8 songs (out of 14) are keepers, then the iffy ones pop up, not bad (though tucked in at track 12, "You Will Set The World On Fire" might be a keeper) but if I never heard the rest again, I don't think my life would be any poorer.


 

Laffs! Bowie released his album "Low" and self-appointed "Jesus of Cool" Nick Lowe joked it was a nod to himself, though without the 'e' in his last name, so to return the favor (or favour), he named his next EP "Bowi".


 
The recent movie "This Is 40" features musician Graham Parker, reunited (on the soundtrack) with his original band The Rumour. They too took it as a joke when Fleetwood Mac released "Rumours", so they gave us the plural of "Mac" as "Max".
 
Back to the future:  David Bowie's new release. He took the iconic cover of "Heroes" and slapped what some have called a cocktail napkin on top. Take that!

No comments:

Post a Comment