Sunday, January 12, 2014

Thrift Store Bonus!

Picked this up a week or two ago at Value Village, and it's one of the best things I've heard in a long time. Shelby Lynne's albums are kind of spotty for me. She's a wonderful talent, but the album production isn't always sympathetic. I think she sounds best with a small band and limited production glitz; her Christmas album from a few years ago is a great example. This one's her tribute to Dusty Springfield (from 2008), and it's everything truly fine about Shelby. Her voice takes center stage, and the production by Phil Ramone is subtle, simple and just what the music needs.  And I got it for just a few bucks!

Friday, I popped in again, and snagged the first Captain Beyond album, and the reunion album by Sopwith Camel! You never see those anywhere, and after a first listen, I think I know why...  Oh, well. Thrill of the hunt and all that. Maybe they'll grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment