Friday, February 14, 2014

Neko Case -- Better and Better

 
 



The latest Neko Case album is her best so far, sez me.  I've been a sporadic listener, loved bits of "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood" and  "Blacklist"  and "Middle Cyclone", which features the fine, fine song "This Tornado Loves You" -- but "The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight: The Harder I Fight, the More I Love You" is by far the best of the batch, more consistent, tighter, and the melodies don't wander, as I found was the case (no pun intended) in other albums.

I really would have liked a lyric sheet. I'm a reader, sue me. Neko's lyrics are hard for me to follow just by listening to them , they're complicated and she doesn't travel down familiar byways.

"Man" is the track that announces itself boldly (3 cuts in). It's by far the most in-your-face track (but what's with that insect-buzz guitar?)

Even though Neko's voice is nothing at all like Grace Slick, I still hear some connections -- maybe it's the laser-like intensity that both Grace and Neko share on certain words and phrasing? And on this album, Neko seems to be in total control of her voice, her songs, the whole package.  


No comments:

Post a Comment