Friday, June 27, 2014

If Music Be the Food of Love...






...then play on. 

"Then Play On" is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album, and yes, that includes the Buckingham/Nicks years.

First, thank you, Cheryl. I saw you carrying this album down the hallway one day in high school, and I knew I MUST  hear it --what better arbiter of taste than the girl you had a not-so-secret crush on? 
So I've been listening to that album for quite a few years, even got the poorly mastered CD when it came out. 

BUT -- I recently picked up the remastered edition, and it is radically different from the original American LP version I was used to. Sure, the first CD added a few extra tracks, but the remastered version is practically a different album altogether. "Then Play On" was FMac's last gasp as a blues band, so the American version focused on the blues/rock tracks. The remastered version has 18 tracks, adds Parts 1 & 2 of their biggest hit (at the time) "Oh Well", the single "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)" (later covered by Judas Priest!), the b-side "World in Harmony", and a couple more ballads (plus the 2 that were on the first CD version.). The ballads aren't bad, and they certainly give a rounder view of the band's music at the time. But what really threw me off was how the remastered version re-ordered the track listing. You have an album memorized, and then they do this to you! 
Actually, it's nice to hear it in a different version. Still my favorite Mac album, and it sounds even better all spiffed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment