Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Stars of the Apollo!









This could be considered a bait and switch. You might guess that these are historic live recordings from the stage of the famous Apollo Theatre, but instead, we have various (mainly unreleased) studio recordings of artists that did indeed perform at the Apollo through the years. Sounds like someone got to sift through the bottom of the barrel (and someone else discovered the italic key!)

I made a tape of my favorites from this 2 LP set from 1972 (CD version, 1993), my 45 minute 'best of', and wore that puppy out. So...eventually, I wondered, how the heck do I find this NOW. Catalog searches: zip. How could this amazing collection have gone out of print? (Oh, maybe the whole 'bait and switch' thing I mentioned earlier...)

I think this may have been the first used CD I purchased online. And I've found, that process is not too scary!

But the music: what a fantastic collection! Bessie Smith, the Mills Brothers, Cab Calloway, Earl Hines, Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan -- but the lesser known artists are just as fine. Who knew Ida Cox or Mamie Smith or Bobby Brown? Not me. And this set is a keeper. Go online and find a used copy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment