Sunday, January 18, 2015

Not Really about Taylor Swift





I'm certainly not the demographic that Taylor Swift is aiming for, but having actually never heard TS before (yes, I live in a cave that doesn't have access to the internet), I was curious about her latest album, her daring dive into pop. Lots and lots of hooks here, but for me (again, not intended to be for me), it's like a Twitter version of an album: short hooks, repeated (re-tweeted) a LOT. What I was most curious about was the collaboration on one track with Imogen Heap.

Imogen Heap first came to my attention via her band Frou Frou, who had a song on the soundtrack to the film "Golden State". I've described her before as 'Bjork Lite', and in fact, she's worked with Bjork. What I like most about her work is that even though it's piled high with synthesized sound, there's a warmth to it, especially in her voice.

I was slightly disappointed with the Swift/Heap Collaboration (now there's a band name for you!). Missing for me was the warm vocal sound and instead we get what currently rules the charts -- reedy, thin voices dwarfed by oppressive production glitz. (Yeah, I know -- this isn't meant for you, Grandpa).

So I wondered if maybe I'd mis-remembered the Frou Frou album and on listening again, it might not hold up.. Well I'm pleased to report that for me, it holds up very well. I like every track, and there are at least 5 that I like A LOT.

Funny how out of step it is with the current charts. Who would have guessed that a 2002 album would be Old School?














No comments:

Post a Comment