Monday, June 27, 2011

Another View from the Cheap Seats








Face to Face With Elvis Costello
There was a series of "emerging artist" shows at the Paramount, cheap tickets for new talent. I went with record store buds rather than my girlfriend (now wife -- yes, come-uppance is on the horizon). Elvis was touring in support of "This Year's Model", his break-through (and some say defining) album. He and the Attractions are on fire; some years later I found the bootleg album of this show and it confirmed everything I remembered. Elvis was at his best.

Show over, I head out an unfamiliar exit, and now I'm part of a group who have discovered the tour bus. We stand, we wait, we wait some more. Eventually, a back door at the Paramount opens, and Elvis heads toward the bus and our line of supplicants. I'm not more than 6 or 7 down the line, and I face off with Elvis. Nothing to sign, just me and a goofy grin. Elvis gives me a few seconds, shrugs ("Whatever, mate") and moves on. Later I realize I had my ticket stub he could have signed, but Elvis is on the bus and the line disperses.

Come-uppance: my girlfriend/now-and-always wife (G/NAAW) is with friends at a Seattle pub; she sees Elvis walk in. He settles at the bar for a short drink, surveys the scene, and eventually moves on. Her Elvis experience is far richer than mine; I am chastened.






Van the Man? Not So Much...
Van Morrison's known for many things: his amazing catalog of songs, his dislike of the music industry, his Celtic soul and his love of American blues and R&B. Unfortunately, he has been known in the past for some dodgy performances. He can be transcendent, he can be awful. It depends. I saw Van (the Paramount, again) and it was like there was a Van imitator standing way at the back of the stage, lip-syncing the songs. He's not moving, I can barely see him -- is it a life-size cardboard stand-up? Three or four songs into it, The Man Who Is Probably Van leaves the stage, the band comps instrumentally for a bit, realize he's not coming back so they do an instrumental version of "Moondance" and then they leave the stage. We are pissed off (no refunds!) and word comes back that Van has the flu or something...

Next Van sighting is the Wavelength tour. He's not sick, but, well, this is a transitional period for Van, trying to sound more contemporary for pop radio, so not much in the way of fireworks on stage. The best moment occurs when Rockpile opens (Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe in full rock-rock-ROCK! mode). Amps are turned up to 12, and hordes of hippies seated for Van rush to the back of the auditorium ("Too loud!! Too loud!!!")







Aw Jeez, "The Circle Game"?? Why Not "Kumbaya" ??
Joni Mitchell touring with some kid named Jackson Browne. He's not bad, she's pretty good, but then we have to stand up and sing "The Circle Game" ("and the seasons, they go round and round, and the painted ponies go up and down.."). Not the best moment in an awkward first date. (Later I realized, my gosh, that first date was a Joni Mitchell/Jackson Browne concert -- I should be in the Boyfriend Hall of Fame!)

Bonding, Part 2
I've been to Bumbershoot several times, but the ones I enjoyed most were when I went with my son. We usually go our separate ways on and off throughout the day, but managed to reunite in time to see: Foo Fighters (with guest Krist Novoselic joining for the encore of Prince's "Purple Rain" -- hey, we saw 2/3 of Nirvana!), Sonic Youth, and the reunited Sex Pistols. You don't know true joy until you can stand side-by-side with your son as Johnny Rotten calls us all wankers.







Aqualung on the Monorail
I've seen Jethro Tull a couple of times in their earlier years, up through the Aqualung tour. Ian was still wearing the greatcoat, and stood on one leg with less effort than he does now. I arrive for a show at the old Seattle Center, and since it's early, I hop on the monorail -- and at the very back is a motley collection of biker dudes in black leather. Wait, that's Ian and the boys out to explore Seattle a bit! Do I say anything to them? Heck, no (see Elvis Costello above), but hey, I rode the rails with Jethro Tull! (Apologies to Bowling Joe for the repeat).

Coming up: yes, I will finally blog about John Martyn at the Backstage, plus, Alison Krauss (also at the Backstage), David Lindley and El-Rayo X in Bellingham, and the most sublime Firesign Theatre experience ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment