Saturday, June 4, 2011

Marz


I read a review of the CD in the New York Times which sounded interesting, so I ordered a copy unheard -- which I do when I'm feeling reckless. Luckily, the review was right -- I like this one. Can't tell you really anything about the band (I think they're German), so there's that air of mystery to add some allure.

In the '70s, German bands like Cluster wrote and performed very simple melodic synth pieces, and despite the almost total reliance on synthesizers, the result was very bucolic and rustic. This CD is very similar; sounds of children playing in the park, nature sound effects, acoustic guitars, oom-pah band horns -- all in the mix, along with English & German vocals sounding somewhat like Peter Gabriel at his most achingly sincere. The songs are simple, alsmost circular in their patterns.

Sometimes you get lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment