Sunday, November 1, 2015

Bob Dylan: Down in the Basement and the Whole Bootleg Thing






I've had a complicated relationship with the music of Bob Dylan. Never understood how Peter, Paul and Mary found the melodies in Dylan songs. (The versions I heard sung by Dylan seemed like just rants).  Actually, I was kinda glad I never developed a taste for Dylan -- or Elvis, for that matter. I'd have to take out a loan to just to buy the 'essential' collection of each.

  But along the way, I heard some Dylan I actually enjoyed: versions of Dylan songs by Fairport Convention, a bootleg of "Bear Mountain Picnic Massacree", the Byrds' Roger Mcguinn's version of "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere".

And slowly over the years, I developed a grudging respect for Dylan's massive talent, and began cherry-picking songs I enjoyed. As I get older, I find that the unvarnished versions hold up best for me, thus we get to "The Basement Tapes". I think the first major bootleg of the rock era was "The Great White Wonder", which had a sizeable chunk of the basement tapes, music Dylan recorded with
the Band in Woodstock. The songs weren't intended to be released officially, but instead were a 'sound catalog' of songs Dylan hoped other musicians would record.

There was a version of "The Basement Tapes" released officially, but it was more of a Frankenstein's monster: bits spliced and re-recorded, songs from other sessions, and songs featuring the Band more prominently than as was originally recorded.

Now there's an official, complete Basement Tape collection (Volume 11 of the Bootleg Series) -- 6 CDs and 2 lavish books. Way more than anyone needs, but that's what libraries are for, and even to these ears, it's a fun trawl through the most famous 'unheard' music ever (right up there with the Beach Boy's "Smile"). There's also a 2CD set that's probably as much as most people need.

Listening to this collection got me thinking of the whole bootleg phenomenon of the '60s and '70s, another fascinating slice of history that the internet has made obsolete. Another story for another time...



No comments:

Post a Comment