Thursday, November 26, 2015

Celtic guitarist Daithi Sproule



I first heard guitarist Daithi Sproule years ago when I heard an album by Skara Brae, but the connection didn't register until I heard this 2008 collection ("The Crow in the Sun") of guitar instrumentals, which includes one of the pieces featured on the Skara Brae album.  I didn't realize how many people Daithi went on to play with (Altan, Liz Carroll and many, many more) -- the guy's an Irish institution.

I've listened to this CD at least a dozen times so far, and it reveals its subtle charms over time. Daithi's liner notes point out a Bert Jansch influence on a few tracks (more apparent in the Skara Brae album), so that gives you somewhat of an idea what "Crow" sounds like, but beyond the slight Bert-isms, there's a truly delicate blend of Celtic and early music. 

Check it out on the label website newfolkrecords.com My old boss Ken owns the label; he's gotta be proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment