Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Brain at 14 (The Lure of Stoopid)



I resolved at an early age to remember -- I would NOT lose touch with my 14 year-old self, no matter what my age. I kept a journal which I promptly lost. So, 40 years later, what do I remember of being 14? Umm, I'm pretty sure breasts were involved, and braces and.. well, the point of this is that -- Black Sabbath and Motorhead can almost remind me of youth long forgotten. Of course, I was scared to death of the Sabs (and girls, come to think of it) when I was 14, and I didn't hear Motorhead until I was about 10 years older, but they still can put me in touch with that dormant teen brain, that visceral reaction to loud guitars and bottomless bass. Now I have the perspective of irony; how can you not love a band (Motorhead) with songs like "Killed By Death" or the romantic "Love Me Like a Reptile"? Pure lunkhead genius. And Black Sabbath, with their primordial sludge and Ozzy's looner lyrics. (When he can't find a rhyme or anything to add, he'll just bray out "YEAAAH!" or "ALRIIIGHTT!", as we men have since the cave days.) So: Motorhead = fast and dumb, Black Sabbath = dumb and slow. Dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment