Sunday, February 14, 2010

My first (and not last) DVD pick


I missed out on the first wave of the whole Fat Possum label phenomenon, so Robert (no, not that one) Palmer's labor of love was a surprise to me, suggested by my dear (late) friend Bobbie. Filmed in juke clubs, road houses and front porches, Robert (Southern and sincere) tours with Dave (no, not that one, Caravan fans!) Stewart. My favorite bits include Junior Kimbrough (looking like Cyclops emerging from his cave) singing "Junior, I Love You", and Big Jack Johnson milking "Daddy, When Is Momma Coming Home" for all that his spot in the spotlight is worth. Special bonus highlight is the scene where Dave Stewart listens to RL Burnside on RL's front lawn, tapping his feet in boots worth more than RL's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment